When there is an excess amount of uric acid in the bloodstream its crystals are formed in the joint, and that condition is termed as gout. Uric acid is present in many foods that we consume. When the body cannot handle the uric acid that is present in the bloodstream, the crystals formed can give rise to many health issues such as arthritis. These crystals block the kidney filter tubules, causing stones to form in the kidneys, which can also lead to the failure of kidneys.
Gout is basically of two kinds:
- Primary gout if it occurs on its own it is called.
- Secondary gout if it is due to other medical conditions.
Gout arthritis can cause sudden pain as well as red and hot swelling near the joints, especially near the toes. This kind of problem is more likely in men who have crossed the age of 40; some of the symptoms of gout are as follows.
Symptoms of Gout
- You will feel pain in the joints of the affected area, along with red and hot discoloration, swelling, and tenderness.
- Most commonly, you will experience gout near the small joints of your toes.
- It might also affect other areas like ankles, wrists, knees, elbows, and fingers.
- The pain can be so intense in some people that even a feather touch can cause a lot of pain.
- This pain can last from a few hours to a day also, irrespective of whether you take medication.
- In very rare cases, the gout attack can also last for a week.
Diagnosis of Gout
When a patient reports frequent attacks of arthritis, especially in the toes, knees, or ankles, then the patient is tested for excess uric acid and uric acid crystals near the affected joints. Usually, some fluid is extracted from the joints of the patient using a needle and it is sent for testing. This fluid is tested for uric acid and any other infections. As part of the treatment and diagnosis of gout, you will also be asked to get a few blood tests done.
Best Treatment for Gout
It is very important to get started with treating gout pain as that can be unbearable at times. Usually, if the gout attacks are not really frequent and when the pain is normal then you don’t need to worry about how to treat gout. It can be done with just some changes in your diet and your lifestyle.
Avoid fish, seafood, organ meats like liver, kidneys as they are high-purine foods and can cause gout attacks.
- Avoid sugary beverages, sodas, honey, and pastries.
- Include fruits, green vegetables, legumes, tofu and all kinds of nuts in your diet.
- Have whole grains, low-fat dairy products, eggs, and plant-based oils.
Sometimes, even a lot of changes to the diet might not have any positive impact on the uric acid level in the bloodstream. It becomes important for you to get started with medication then.
When lifestyle and diet changes do not work, or when the gout attacks are too frequent, then you will have to take medicine for gout pain treatment. This medicine will help in lowering the uric acid levels in the body.
Basically, you will be given three different kinds of medicines for gout pain treatment.
- Medicine for pain and inflammation will be prescribed but they can sometimes cause abdominal cramps or nausea.
- Anti-inflammatory non-steroidal medicines might be given for acute attacks, but they might cause dizziness or vomiting.
- Medicines for lowering uric acid will be given as this is the chief reason behind the occurrence of gout.
There are a number of easy gout treatments available that can be done at home. Rest is important when you are having a gout attack. You can also use ice for getting relief from pain. Make sure there is no weight on the affected area of the body, including that of the clothes you’re wearing. If you have gout on your toe, try not to wear anything on the legs and feet. Drinking a lot of water is very important and will be very useful for those who have gout. This will help in flushing out the uric acid present in the body and also will help in flushing out the uric acid crystals.
Remember that you need to be a little patient when you start treatments for gout. You should not keep changing the doctor or medicine when gout remains for a long time. Try home remedies and medications to manage the condition.